Steve came home from work yesterday and announced, "Look, you're a door hanger." So long ago that I can't remember (which really is not saying much, but we are talking at least 2 years here), the Health Department took our pictures for an anti-flu campaign. Nathan's picture was used in West Sacramento for the fliers, t.v. commercials, etc targeting the Russian population. (Rachel spent the night at a friend's house and didn't join us for the photos.) It's strangely disconcerting to find yourself as a door hanger. (I never realized that I had such a crooked smile.) Really--would you want your picture and "NOT THE FLU" boldly greeting people?Several of you may have heard me complain over the years about running. I don't believe in it, unless you're covering short distances to get somewhere quickly. (I was abashed to discover that I was the only person who ever ran up and down the hallway at Steve's parents' home despite the fact that seven children lived there at one time. In my preteen youth, I used to run up and down mom and dad's hallway in "training" for basketball, jumping up to touch the hallway lights along the way.) I've thought that people who ran long distances are a little crazy and look miserable. I don't think I really believe that there is truly such a thing as a "runner's high." But, believe it or not, I am currently in week 4 of training to run a half marathon in May. We are in the walk 3, run 2 phase. You might be thinking this means miles. LOL. No, that would be minutes. I'm not really convinced that I will ever actually even run a full mile. My goal is to run 5 miles without feeling like I was torturing myself. We'll see. Here's an example of the craziness--I have actually gotten out of my warm bed the past 3 Saturdays at 6 in the morning to go run/walking in the dark--2 of those 3 in the dark and rain. This after putting in 3 days of run/walking during the week, (but not at 6 in the morning). Why you ask--Good Question. When I figure it out, I'll let you know. Suffice it to say--it's Nikki Ochoa's fault that I am now part of a 100+ group of Woodland Women called the Pacific Coasters. Check out the website for details. pacificcoasters.wordpress.com
4 comments:
I have to admit that I have no desire to be a door hanger, especially not such a close up. I do however think that you have a beautiful smile.
As for the running I have to say that I am a little jealous. I am not a runner either, and I think runners are crazy, but I do want to run a half marathon. I just lack motivation. I wish I was going to be in CA in May because I would totally do it with you. You will have to do another one with me!
I have always loved your smile and thought that we have similar smiles. The door hanger is not exactly the most glamorous thing to be associated with but more helpful than most things that would be more glamorous. I think it is cool.
As someone who enjoys running but never does anymore, I am very impressed with your endeavor. Can't wait to hear how it goes.
If you really feel bad about having a crooked smile, look closely at Tom Cruise's smile - it's way off midline. Also, running is crazy but good for you, but I'm still not ready to wake at 6 am to do it. I don't even get up for 7 am basketball on Saturdays.
Sherrie-you should ask Nikki your friend if she is related to the Ochoa family here in Salem. I do daycare for a couple of the families and two are teachers at HArritt(the kids school). Two of them have cell phone numbers that are #530. Just curious.
Happy running!
Post a Comment