Thursday, January 6, 2011

Life at the Zoo II

On Tuesday we took a family trip (Sammie is practically part of the family) to San Francisco--first stop the zoo. Rachel and Sam took Sam's cell phone, a zoo map, and their 12 (almost 13) year old enthusiasm and set off on their own. Being too old for the children's zoo, they missed a lot of cool stuff (if you like animals--I definitely could've lived without seeing the tarantulas and various roaches.) We missed their company, but enjoyed the time with Nate the Great. Rachel took a million pictures but can't currently find her camera.
Can you spot the reason for this picture? Nathan is on his way to the Eagle Trail and was very excited to see this inspiring bird.
Is this some sweet photography or what? I was stressing to get the picture before the lion walked away. Luckily I figured it out, because everyone needs a picture of a lioness and lion hanging out together.It's a sad day when you can't convince your children to take these cute pictures and have to do it yourself. (Yes, I know that this is classic nerd behavior.)
Mom, this one's for you--in tribute to my memorable performance as the Bird of Paradise in the Endangered Species Play.Isn't this a highly symbolic, lovely photograph? I really wish you could've heard Steve's commentary. Here's Steve in his short-sleeve t-shirt and me in my long-sleeve shirt, sweater, and down jacket. I was never too warm--further confirming Steve's belief that I'm really a reptile.

(I have been trying to download this video for two days. Finally got it to download and it's the wrong one! After all this time, it's just staying.)
We enjoyed watching these storks build their nest. Steve was entertaining us with his rendition of the stork's conversation. ('Course that was captured on the other video.)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I appreciate your "nerdy" photos. I think they are fun and I would probably do the same.

By the way is the video you were trying to download too long or too big? There is a limit on the size of the video you can download. Too bad though. I bet Steve's commentary is hilarious.

sherrie said...

Well, this is embarrassing, but evidently I already had the camera running video and when I turned it on to capture Steve's commentary, I actually turned it off. So, the video that was downloaded was the "right one"--just not what it should've been. Good grief--at least I have the excuse that it's a new camera.

Alicia said...

Ahh the bird of paradise. I would love to have a video of you filling in for all the no-show endangered species in your bird of paradise costume. It still makes me laugh to think about it after all these years.