Sunday, November 27, 2011

Black Friday Fiasco


Super excited to see Target's Black Friday ad. The perfect gift for Rachel--too big to get squished in the seat of the car and awesome enough to keep her from grabbing my camera when rain drops are lying perfectly on rose petals and less than $100. Get to Target at 11. Wait in the cold for an hour. Prep Rachel for grabbing all of the other items while I'm in the electronics line. Target changed the game plan on me. Previous years, all major electronics items (including cameras) were held at the electronics desk. I guess Target was trying to create a better system and not make people wait as long (last year I waited in the electronic line for over an hour), and this year put some things out on the floor. I walked right past the the Nikon spot on my way to the electronics line. By the time I discovered that I was in line for no reason and fought my way through the press to get to the end cap, they were all gone. What disappointment! All this late night craziness--all for naught. One of my friends from the ward happened upon me in my moment of bitterness and listened to my sad tale of woe. I met up with Rach and went to start our marathon wait in line. The check out line was winding in and out of the health and beauty aisles starting at A26. After waiting in line for quite a while, I broke down and told Rachel the disappointing news. She was excited and then dashed. Alas. Moments after I shared this info, my friend called me on the cellphone and announced that they just put out some more Nikon L105s. Sweet. I squeezed through the press while Rachel held our place in line and grabbed one! Yeah! Shortly thereafter we arrived at the check stands. Now it's about 1:30. Standing practically comatose as the checker beings ringing up our stuff, it occurs to me that I should be doing something--oh, yeah, getting out my credit card out. Oh, wait. No purse. What?! you ask. Seriously. Didn't even think about it till that moment. Hello, embarrassing. Thankfully, however, Keshia to the rescue. Called her and she came running over and paid for my stuff. In order to avoid any trouble with returns, I ran home grabbed my purse, ran back, returned the stuff, gave the receipts to Keshia who was still there, and then repurchased it on my card. Tried to adventure next store to Best Buy. Gave up when I found out the checkout line wait was over 2 hours. Finally got into bed around 3 am. Still recovering.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I have never gone shopping on Black Friday in my entire life. I just don't have it in me. Glad that things worked out for you.

sherrie said...

I've only done it three or four times. For me, there has to be an item of extreme importance. Just the experience is definitely not worth it. You should've heard the insane stories the ladies in line behind were relating about their experiences at Wal-mart right before coming to Target. (Including a man who was reeking of urine because he refused to give up his spot in line and had a little too much to drink.) When Rachel was little, a bike beckoned from Wal-mart's Black Friday offerings. What a nightmare--my first B.F. adventure--cured me for quite a few years. Major difference between the crowds and crowd controls at Wal-Mart and those at Target.