Saturday, January 16, 2010

Basketball Blues & Skinny Jeans


Well, life gives us unexpected opportunities to work on conquering selfishness. This basketball season has been one of those opportunities for me. Following my husband's counsel and my daughter's disdain-filled request, I gave up coaching at the YMCA. I successfully bit my lip during this morning's game and did not shout, "Put your hands up!" and "Dead Ball!", even though I REALLY, REALLY wanted to. Her coaches were doing a fine job, just with a different emphasis.

Anyway, the other lesson of the day was navigating my strong desire to shout, "No, of course you cannot wear skinny jeans to your basketball game. Are you crazy?!" I did, unfortunately, say "Just want to let you know that I'm concerned that you look ridiculous wearing skinny jeans to a basketball game and, just for the record, you will be the only girl not wearing shorts on any of the teams." (Because aren't there times when you think, hey--why didn't anyone ever tell me?)

Well anyway, then it occurred to me. We had been a little concerned lately that Rachel was becoming so fashion conscience. One of Rachel's beautiful qualities that we've always appreciated is her joy in doing her own thing regardless of what others are doing. Her sudden dedication to skinny jeans and "stylin' up" has been disconcerting. But, she proved today, once again, that she will confidently wear whatever she feels like wearing regardless of what others are doing. (Thank goodness she has a strong sense of modesty and the good sense to ignore her mother's warnings of ridiculousness.) After the game, she recounted with pleasure overhearing the opposing team refer to her as "the girl in skinny jeans." Then she blissfully announced that she plans to wear her zebra-print skinny jeans next week. More power to her.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Zebra print skinny jeans? I think I need to see a picture of those. Zoie will love them.