Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Embarassing Moments #4,309 & 4,310

Why yes, I am a bit of a procrastinator. This proclivity haunts me in my many responsibilities but is especially evident as I carry out my scout committee chair duties which monthly require me to secure tour permits. The Golden Empire Council of BSA now prefers to have tour permits submitted online, which is a great blessing for someone without a fax machine such as myself.

There are, however, a multitude of challenges associated with the online process, especially for an impatient, non-computer-genius such as myself. One such challenge is the stipulation that all permit requests be submitted at least two weeks before an outing.

Last night was no different. After hitting the submit button, an incredibly aggravating warning told me that I had not entered an itinerary. (which, for the record, I did and evidently hit the wrong save button--yes, there are two save buttons on the screen, but only one will actually save that information--MADDENING) The computer then mocked me by telling me that there was now nothing I could do, but wait for the email tomorrow telling me to try again. ARGH (how hard would it be to tell you what you're missing before making you submit it--that would make too much sense.)

Today I got to try again.

The majority of the time that I submit a tour permit, a warning blazes across the screen indicating that the outing is less than two weeks away, shame on you, etc.

Well, once again, I found myself under the two week mark as I resubmitted the tour permit, but when I submitted it, the computer did not reprimand me for my tardiness and instead flashed, "No Business Rule Warnings." Oh no, what does that mean? I had never before been issued that warning and did not ever remember anything about business rules on the tour permit.

So, I called the Golden Empire Council volunteer coordinator. I did not give her my name (because I've brought her flowers before for making her life so difficult) and just told her that I'd submitted a tour permit, been flashed "No Business Rule Warnings", and told her that I had no idea what that meant. She tried to explain to me that meant that none of the business rules had been violated. I explained that it couldn't be the case because I was submitting under two weeks. She said that it was still plenty of time to process the permit so everything was okay. Slowly it dawned on me that I had never seen that particular message because I had never once submitted a tour permit correctly. (My face actually began to burn in shame as I thanked her and hung up the phone.)

Imagine my second embarrassing moment, when moments later I received this email message from her:

"I'm not sure if I just talked to you about the "NO BUSINESS RULE WARNING" on your tour permit for Yolo Klondike but the reason for that is because you entered the date as being 10/29/10 and not 01/29/10. I need to send it back to you so that you can change the date and resubmit it."

I don't imagine that I will be seeing “NO BUSINESS RULE WARNING” again any time soon.

2 comments:

EmmaLee said...

Sherri you are too funny. Every time I read these kind of posts I wish that I could get the story from you in person. I was glad to see that you guys like the Science Kits. I hope we will get to see some pictures or videos of some of them soon!

Anne said...

Sherrie you are great. I have moments like that all the time. Since I don't have nearly the responsibility that you do, no one usually finds out.

Thanks for all you do for everyone. You're still my hero just like you have always been.