
Starting the day in B1. It's never too early for one of Nathan's favorite activities--laughing with his good buddy, Clay (or should I say Mose Schallenberger).

Getting ready to board the bus which will take us to our 1840's transportation in Old Sac.

Travelin' 1840's-style. 5 of my Cub Scouts are on this wagon.

Arriving at the Fort. Notice my first class seating.

Doesn't this picture just shout "Enough pictures, already" or "This fake smile can't last much longer."

Can you spot Nathan (aka John Bidwell) and his ma in this photo? (We're no where near each other.)

I just think John Bidwell looks so studly striding through the fort in this photo. Brandon is doing a good job showing off roping, the possible bags they hand-sewed out of burlap, and the wooden journals all at once. Nathan has been using Rachel's possible bag as his Indiana Jones satchel for the past couple of years. Now he has his own handy work to use on archeological adventures.

Making rope and passing off Bear Scout requirements!

Vaquero training. Hanging off his neck, to the right, is his hand-woven money pouch (it looks like it's dangling right under his hand) full of Sutter's Bucks which he will use at the trade store to purchase licorice, jerky, a wooden back scratcher, and more. Helping the students learn to weave at school was my job along with my wonderful friend, Charlene who unexpectedly starting homeschooling her older son at the same time. Yes, it is inconceivable that I would be the one selected to teach students how to do something crafty, and yes, it was problem-filled and I could tell you a funny story or two. Charlene and Krista and Rachel (who I actually had to pull out of class to come and show us how to start the weave) saved the day along with the other wonderful moms who helped with Friday morning Sutter's Fort prep days.

Tug of warring.

To the victor belongs the smiles.

The Wonderful Weaving Ladies, Charlene and Krista, are standing next to me. The fabulous weavings they helped the kids create are draped across the period looms. It was probably a blessing that I was needed elsewhere and did not actually assist with the weaving at the fort. You can imagine the damage that may have ensued. I did, however, miss hanging out with the WWLs. Also pictured are my great friends Letty and Trisha and a new friend, Amy. Don't we look amazing cheerful after a long February day out-of-doors teaching 9 and 10 year-olds to make corn husk dolls and weave on a loom? The period baking oven is in the background. The kids actually made bread and cinnamon rolls that they baked in that oven. They were delicious! They also ground wheat into flour at the grist mill.

Don't we look tired? And our night was still young. This picture was taken right before the square dancing was about to commence. My night would continue until the morning, about 2:45ish in the morning. It took me several days to recover, but it was worth every minute!
5 comments:
I'm glad you were able to save the photos. This looks like such an awesome place. I wish I could have tagged along.
Sherrie you are amazing. That sounds like quite an adventure. Nathan looks like he really enjoyed it. I also have to agree that he looks very striking in his period garb. What a handsome guy.
Sherry Bowling (Jensen) ;) How are you??? This is your long, lost cousin Karen. I got a chance to talk to my mom & dad this weekend, as they were returning from Gridley, and they had wonderful things to say about your family. Apparently Nathan has stolen my mom's heart as he is one of those outgoing, friendly, super-fabo kids. I'm glad they had a chance to visit with you guys. Hopefully I'll get my own chance one of these days. (by the way... it was fun tracking down your blog!)
YEAH for Rebekah!! I'm glad the photos haved been saved. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun and I enjoyed seeing Nathan all dressed up.
Post a Comment