Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just When You're Feeling Comfortable...

...time to grow again! Steve has just recently been through that with his new calling to be the 11 year old scout leader for the three units in Woodland. In addition, we have made a lot of changes to adjust to losing Steve's class at the Community College and being furloughed 96 hours .. and now we get to do more. This fiscal year, July to July, he is being furloughed 160 hours. Must be a typo you say. Oh no, it's not--it's really equal to 4 weeks of work--2 entire paychecks. Good thing I like subbing and we decided, after much prayer and with great difficulty, to have Nathan stay at Plainfield (which we really do love) and not attend the amazing, wonderful, incredible science-technology charter school opening up in Knights Landing this fall.

We are really going to feel wealthy when we get back to the place we started after learning to manage and stretch our resources. The other day I was listening to Clark Howard on the radio and didn't realize the impact it was having on the backseat passenger. "Mom, can you tell me when this comes on every day? I need to listen so I can learn how to save money and avoid being ripped off." Those are welcome words from the boy who falls for every infomercial ever made.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Sorry to hear this. I really don't know what to say, except that sticks!! We are always here if you need to drop the kids off and go to the temple for peace and solace. You guys are amazing and I admire your faith and strength.

I just love Nathan's comment. It is good to learn money saving and planning skills now so you don't have financial problems as an adult. I admire that you have used this challenge to teach and prepare your children for the future. You are AWESOME parents!

EmmaLee said...

Lisa is right, you guys are awesome parents! I am so impressed with your financial choices and your ability to live on less. Bob and I are a little nervous to be starting our much in debt lives out in such hard financial times. You are definitely going to have to give us some pointers.

Charmayne said...

35% of the people in our ward in the last 2 years have lost their jobs. We have certainly gone through a lot too. All I can say is thank heavens for the Gospel. I have no next to nil when it comes to money skills and have learned many lessons the hard way. I hope one day to get out of that rut! :) But again~the Gospel always gives me hope for a brighter day!

Anne said...

I have to say that there are very few people that I have more respect for than you, Sherrie. You are absolutely amazing. I know that it will be hard but you will endure it well. You can see that in your amazing kids and the faith of your entire family.

I love you!