Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mini Mission

So I called Dad from BYU my freshman year with the declaration that I wanted to serve a mission. He laughed and laughed and laughed. Well--how rude! When he finally caught his breath, he said, "Let's wait and see if you make it to 21 without being married." So, wise man that he was, I had been 20 for 3 weeks when we got married.

Fast forward 21 years, I feel like I just served a mini-mission. Let me begin by telling you that 35% of the girls at our Girls Camp this past week were nonmembers. We had the whole gamut of member girls--less active to very strong. Out of the 10 girls in my cabin, 5 were not members of the church.

Well, there's way too much to write and I'm still reeling from an exhausting week. (The last two nights, ended at 1:30am and began at 6:30am--and that was sleeping in.) We experienced a tremendous amount of adversity in our 3rd year group, but lots of blessing and miracles, too. It's a lot less work to talk than write, so if you're interested ask me about it next time you see me. Suffice it to say, it involves rattle snakes, broken ankles (not mine, thank goodness), rashes, and testimonies, amongst other things.

Happy Fourth of July! What an amazing blessing to live in this country of rights and freedom, inspired by our Heavenly Father, defended by brave men and women, home of the prophet and apostles.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That sounds interesting! I would like to hear more...maybe tomorrow. I'm sure I've already told you but I went to Camp Ritchie twice before I was a member. It is not the main reason I joined the church but it definitely had an impact on me. You are awesome for going as a leader. I hope you and Rachel had a good time.

Anne said...

I guess I'll have to wait a couple more weeks to ask you when we come up to visit.